„Yukon-Winter Magic“ Photography Tour
The ultimate winter photography workshop!
This unique photo trip with elaborate workshops is specifically aimed at dedicated photographers. Our team of professional photographers shows you the most extraordinary and unique photography spots from 25 years of discovering & living in the wintery Yukon!
Professional photographer Beat Glanzmann is in charge of the optional post-processing workshops. These are state of the art, individually adapted to your experience and needs. On this photo journey we push the boundaries of photography and spare no effort. With our know-how we lead you to the most exclusive, sometimes very remote photo locations that northern Canada has to offer.
Frozen lakes, ice floes, white mountains, endless expanses, northern lights, clear nights and untouched nature await you: Dive with us into the silence of the wilderness, into a world full of natural wonders and beauty, far away from other people and mass tourism.
You will bring home unique pictures that surprise!
Requirements for participants
The tour does not require a high level of fitness. However, you should be in good physical condition and able to hike for about 1 hours at a comfortable pace and on a good path.
- Unique winter mountain, ice and lake landscapes in the natural paradise of Kluane National Park
- Guided tours to the most wonderful photo locations (max. 30 minutes on foot)
- Crystal clear sky for star and northern light photography (no disturbing light influences)
- Experience vastness, silence and fascinating landscapes far away from mass tourism.
- Possibility for coaching of the recording technique on site
- Image editing workshops (from simple image corrections to complex panoramas / various masks / stacking / image compositions)
- Enjoy romantic log cabin accommodation with sauna
Individual arrival in Whitehorse, Yukon / Canada. Welcome to the far north!
Day 1: you will be welcomed at the hotel. We will make a short city tour with shopping facilities. Afterwards we drive on the famous Alaska highway, along the Kluane national park to our log cabins. You will be greeted by our sled dogs with an extensive howling and move into the preheated, comfortable cabin.
Day 2 – 12:
in the next two weeks the following photographic highlights are waiting for you (2nd day – 12th day):
- Frozen lakes: turquoise, blue and black ice surfaces with crevices and cracks;
- Ice floes: cliff-like ice floes and impressive snow drifts, which are surrounded by the mountain scenery;
- Northern lights: a photographic highlight that is usually particularly visible at this time of year;
- Night photography: moon and stars without any light pollution;
- Mountain panoramas: view of Canada’s highest mountains for impressive panoramic pictures;
- Encounters with moose, sheep, snowshoe bunnies, ptarmigans, foxes and bald eagles are possible.
- Winter wonderland: iced trees, snow-covered landscapes with countless pictures! Macro photographers also get their money’s worth here;
- Sea / pacific: idyllic harbor directly at the sea (day trip to Haines, Alaska) with snow-covered mountain passes, high plateaus and wonderful mountain lakes. Already the drive there offers impressive locations for winter pictures;
- Log cabins: the warmth of the log cabins, absolute silence, surrounded by snow-covered forest and starry skies;
- Sled dogs: our sled dogs roam the forest and are always a beautiful photo motif;
- Alaska highway: the barely used Alaska highway also shows the endless expanse of this area in pictures.
Of course, a day of rest may be taken at any time, although we offer daily photo excursions and activities.
Day 13: drive to Whitehorse, where the journey ends. The individual departure follows.
All routes and times described in the tour program may vary depending on weather conditions.
The self-constructed, cozy guest cabins are heated with wood. For lighting in the cabins there are LED lanterns and candlelight, which create a very cozy atmosphere alongside the crackling wood stove. You will be supplied with the best drinking water from our own spring. Each log cabin has its own cooking facilities, sink, water canister and kitchen utensils. There is an external toilet near each cabin.
Couples can stay in a private cabin. We offer 2 single rooms in the Montana Cabin on request, 2 – max. 3 single traveler will share a cabin.
After instructions the participants will be in charge of there own cabin wood stove. A sauna in a self-constructed log cabin invites you to relax! There is a basic shower in the main house.
It is possible to recharge batteries for cameras, tablets and mobile phones during the day at the Glanzmann Tours base at the solar power supply.
For a communal meal (breakfast and dinner) all participants will meet in the main cabin. Breakfast and dinner are included, excluding 1 dinner at the restaurant in Haines/Alaska. Participants prepare breakfast for themselves. The food is provided by us. We will cook dinner for you, the group will help with the dishes.
- All trips according to the program from/to Whitehorse
- Transport to the respective photo locations (car transports, snowmobiles)
- Two experienced, licensed, German/English speaking guides (Beat Glanzmann and Eva Riedwyl)
- Our photographer Beat Glanzmann for the supervision of the shooting technique and image editing workshops
- 12 nights in our log cabins (double occupancy)
- Half board (breakfast and dinner) except 1 dinner in Haines/AK
- Value added tax
Not included in the tour price
- Arrival and return journey to/from Whitehorse
- 1 dinner at a restaurant in Haines/AK
- Snacks (can be bought together in Whitehorse)
- Alcoholic beverages
- Personal equipment (see equipment list)
- Cancellation and international health insurance
Clothing and personal material
- 2-3 pairs of gloves (2x thin finger gloves and warm mittens)
- 1 pair of winter shoes (preferably with removable inner shoe, can be rented by appointment)
- 1 pair of warm slippers and/or bivouac shoes (only for accommodation in log cabins)
- warm winter jacket and trousers, warm sweaters
- Long thermal underwear
- Warm cap with ear protection
- Cold face mask / balaclava
- Very warm winter socks
- 2 towels for the sauna
- Ski goggles and sunglasses
- Ear plugs
- Glasses and spare glasses / contact lenses
- Headlamp (including spare batteries)
- Thermos bottle (min. 750ml)
- Pocket knife optional (for flights in main baggage)
- binoculars optional
- Small day-pack or camera backpack
- Personal medication (for flights in hand luggage)
- Lunch/Snacks can be bought on site
- Passport (valid for at least 6 months after the date of return)
- Electronic travel authorization (eta) for Canada. Recently, an electronic authorization (eta) is mandatory to fly into Canada (arrival by ship or by land does not require eta). This affects nationalities that do not normally need a tourist visa for Canada. This includes Swiss and EU citizens. Permission must be obtained online before entry. It costs about 7 CAD.
- Please also note the current entry regulations for the US / Alaska.
- Address of your accident, rescue and health insurance, as well as travel cancellation and liability insurance
- Flight tickets
- Credit card
- Vaccination certificate or copy
- Cash approx. 100 ca$
(recommended) Camera equipment:
- Camera, memory cards
- Batteries, rechargeable batteries, charger
- Cable release / remote release
- Various filters (if available)
- Camera/lens pockets
- Power-adapter for 110 volt (adapter north America)
- General photo tips
- We strongly recommend several batteries/battery packs. It is possible to recharge the batteries at the Glanzmann tours base at the solar power supply (during the day).
What can be rented additionally:
- Baffin or Sorel winter boots (guaranteed warm during cold days) CAD 40.00 per week (please reserve in advance)
- towel for the sauna CAD 5.00